Welcome to the blog of the Tasmanian branch of the Children's Book Council of Australia!

Monday 8 December 2014

Reviews – my book filter

Four or five of the 230+ books I’ve read so far this year were duds.  Why so few?  Because I read books recommended by real people – some are my friends, others are those wonderful people who write considered, thought provoking and well crafted reviews in quality journals such as Magpies, Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, Reading Time Online and Viewpoint.

Thanks to many tireless contributors and particularly to two recently deceased champions of children’s literature Jo Goodman and Maurice Saxby, I’ve been introduced to many authors whose works have enriched my life.

After 22 years, Viewpoint on books for young adults has produced its final issue.      As well as the author interviews and long reviews from some of Australia’s best reviewers, Viewpoint included reviews from school students. I will miss this journal.

Nella Pickup
 

Thank you book reviewers everywhere. If you have a favourite review journal why not post a comment and share with our readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment